What is the meaning of the word 'Lalitha'? The one who abides in our third eye or 'lalaat' is called Lalitha. When we meditate, we focus our attention on our third eye. The whole of the divine essence of Divinity corresponds with our human essence at this point between our two eyebrows. This is also the site of our pineal gland which is the seat of all our hormones. Our physical and mental growth and well being are governed by the hormones which are regulated by the pineal gland. This is a very powerful and sacred place in our body.
The Divine Mother has come as Goddess Lalitha to remove our karma. She resides in the Third Eye which should be activated and worshipped by applying kumkum, vibhuti or chandan [vermillion powder, holy ash or sandal paste] everyday.
Devi gave it to Lopamudra as the Lalitha Sahasranama. She, in turn, passed it on her venerable spouse, Sage Agastya. It is from Sage Agastya that we have received the Lalitha Sahasranama [the 1000 names of the Goddess]. It is still being chanted in the Kali Yuga with so much faith and devotion.
Chanting each name of Mother as Lalitha bestows us with infinite grace and benefits. For. E.g. 'Om Dhanadhanya Vivardhinyei Namaha'. This means - 'O Devi who makes wealth and food grains multiply infinitely, I bow down to you.' This is the 886th holy name in the Lalitha Sahasranama.
Likewise, the phala shruti of Shri Lalitha Sahasranama below throws light on the benefits of Lalitha Sahasranama Paath -
PHALA SRUTI OF LALITHA SAHASRANAMA
1.Thus,' Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava, the thousand names are declared to you, the secret of secrets which pleases Lalita
2. There has been no Stotra equal (in merit) to this, nor there ever willbeone such. This stotra causes all diseases to subside and confers all prosperity.
3. It averts untimely death, avoids timely death, removes the pain caused by fever and confers longevity.
4. It blesses the issueless with sons and confers all the Purusharthas, This stotra especially is highly pleasing to Sri Devi.
5 & 6.The devotee of Lalita should always with effort repeat this. After the morning bath he should perform the Sandhya ceremony regularly, go into the Puja room and there worship Sri Chakra. Then he should repeat the Mantra, a thousand times, or three hundred, or one hundred times at least.
7. Then again he should repeat this secret Sahasranamas. The wise one whO repeats it at least once in his life time (attains the following results):
8Listen thou, Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava, I will declare to thee the results of such a virtue of repeating these names. Bathing in Ganga and all other holywaters numberless times,
9 & 10Instituting crores of Lingas-in the Avimukta(ksetra): giving away (in charity) crores ofgold nuggets to learned Dvijas, during the solar eclipse, performing innumerable horse sacrifices on the banks of Ganga.
11. By digging a number of wells in arid tracts; feeding Brahmanas by crores in times of dearth and famine,daily.
12. All these being done with supreme faith regularly for a thousand years, the resulting Punya multiplied times without number itself equals it.
13 & 14.The supreme punya which results from repetition of a single name of the secret Sahasranama destroys the accumulated sins of one who repeats at least a single name of this secret Sahasranama. There is no doubt about this.
15. All sins of omission of prescribed daily duties and commission of prohibited acts are surely destroyed. Why describe in so many words? Listen, Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava:
16. No. person in all the fourteen worlds is capable of committing a sin which cannot be· removed by a single name in this Sahasranama which is the antidote for' all sins.
1 7. He who desires to cleanse himself of all sins by any other means than this Sahasranama is like one who, to get rid of cold, goes to the Himalaya mountains.
18. If the devotee repeats this Sahasranama daily, Lalita is pleased and confers on him the desired objects.
19. How can one who does not repeat this hymn be called a devotee? If he is unable to repeat it daily, let him do so on auspicious days at least.
20. On Sankranti day, during the summer and winter solstices, on the three birth-days-of self, wife and sons, in the Ayanas, on Navami (9th or the 14th day of the bright fortnight), and on Fridays.
21. This Sahasranama should be repeated. Especially on the Purnamasi (the full-moon) day, meditating on Mother Lalita as seated in the disc of the moon.
22. And worshipping Her with five kinds of Upacharas, one should repeat this Sahasranama, Such a person gets all his diseases destroyed and obtains a long lease of life.
23. This process is called. the Ayushkara Prayoga (tending to prolong life) and is mentioned in the Kalpas.
24. By touching with the palm the head of a feverish person reciting this Sahasranama, fever and headache are got rid of immediately.
24 & 25. By the external application of ash sanctified with this Sahasranama for healing purposes, all diseases are immediately cured.
25 & 26. Oh! Muni,Charge a potful of water with this Sahasranama and pour it on the head of a person who is 'possessed', and the Graha (evil spirit) will at once leave that person.
26 & 27. By meditating on Mother Lalita as seated in the midst of the nectar-ocean, and repeating this Sahasranama, poison (if taken in) becomes harmless.
27 & 28. By taking butter sanctified with this Sahasranama barren woman will surely beget children.
28 & 29. At night meditating on Devi, as binding the desired woman by the noose and drawing by the elephant-hook, if one recites the Sahasranama, she comes to his side, even if confined in a palace.
30. To conquer a king, one should turn to the side in which he (the king) lives and repeat this Sahasranama for three nights, fully devoted to the worship of Devi.
31. And the king losing his independent spirit, rides horse or an elephant to go to him (the devotee) before whom he prostrates like a servant.
32& 33 By a mere gaze at the face of him who repeats daily this secret Sahasranama, the three worlds get bewitched.
33to35 The enemies of him, who repeats this Sahasranama with devotion once (at least), are killed by Sarabheshvara. Any black magic practised against the repeater of this Sahasranama (is ineffectual but) is made by Pratyangiras to rebound upon the performer of the act and kills him (instead).
35&36 Him, who looks upon the repeater of this Sahasranama, with a cruel eye, soon does Martanda Bhairava blinds.
36 &37.The robber who dispossesses the repeater of this Sahasranama of his property, wherever he conceals himself, is killed by Ksetrapala.
37 & 38 The learned man, who dares discuss or argue about the Vidya with him, who devotes himself to the chanting of this Sahasranama, is at once made dumb (held spell-bound) by Nakulesvari.
38 & 39.When a king makes war with the devotee of this Sahasranama, Dandini herself destroys all his army.
39 & 40. If one chants with devotion continuously for six months, the goddess of wealth will reside permanently in his house.
40 & 41 If one reads this Sahasranama once a month(at Ieast}, or daily (if he can), or (still better) thrice a day (if possible), the goddess of speech will keepdancing forever on the tip of his tongue.
41 & 42By reading this Sahasranama without laziness for a fortnight, womencan be fascinated by amere glance.
42 & 43.Persons accidentally coming into contact with him who has read this even oncein his life-time, are freed from sins
43 & 44. To the twice-born man who knows this Sahasranama, should be offered food, clothes, moneyand paddy, and never to anyone else.
45. For, the wise recognise him to be the fit guest who knows the Panchadasi, who worships theSri Chakra and who chants this Sahasranama. Hence to him and to him alone one should, with effort, offer presents, if he wants to please Devi.
46 & 47. He who does not repeat the Sahasranamanor knows the Panchadasi, is like a beast, and presentsmade to him are useless, Hence the learned shouldtest the knowledge (of the recipient) and offer himany presents.
47 & 48: Just as there is no Mantra to match with the Srividya, no Deity to equal to Lalita, so also, Oh!Kumbha-Sambhava, there is no hymn equal to this Sahasranama.
49. With him who writes out this supreme Sahasranamain a book and worships it with devotion, Sundari will be pleased.
50. Why so many words, listen thou, Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava, in all the Tantras there is no hymn tobe found which is equal to this,
51 to 54.Therefore, should the devotee repeat thiswith much devotion, the good results accruing from the worship of the Sri Chakra done once withthe lotus, Tulsi leaf, Kalhara, Kadambaka, Champaka and Jati flowers, with Mallika, Karaviraka, Utpala, Bilvapatra, Kunda, Kesara, Patala and other fragrant flowers suchas Ketaki and Madhavi, accompanied with the chanting these names--the results of such a worship are indescribable even by Maheswara. It is only Lalita that can realise (the greatness of) the results of 'worshipping Her (Sri) Chakra.
55 & 56How can Brahma and other Gods who have a limited knowledge, know it? He who worships onthe night of the full-moon day in every month, himselfbecomes (one with) Lalita and Lalita with him.
57 & 58There is no difference between them both (Lalita and the devotee) and to draw any distinction between them is to sin. If a devotee worships Sri Devi on the Mahanavami day with these thousand names locating Her in the Sri Chakra, his salvation is in his grasp.
58 to 61Listen thou and know the result of worshipping the great Devi with this Sahasranama in theSri Chakra on Fridays. One's (all) desires in this world are fulfiled, he attains all prosperity and is blessed with sons and grandsons. And after enjoying all the desired objects he is sure to attain at the end, the state of Lalita Sayujya, which is hard to reach and which is also coveted by Siva and others.
61 & 62 With him, who with devotion entertains, repeating this Sahasranama, a thousand Brahmanas, with food consisting of payasa, Apupa and six kinds of Rasas-with such a person Lalita is pleased andgives him salvation (Samrajya).
63 & 64 If a person chants this supreme hymn without hoping for any (specific selfish) result, there isnothing in all the three worlds which is unattainable by him. He gains Brahma Jnana by which he will be free (from all misery). He that longs for wealth willget wealth; he that courts fame will get fame.
65. He that is anxious of learning (knowledge) becomes learned by chanting this Sahasranama, Oh!Muni, there is no other hymn equal to this in merit, which confers both worldly attainments and salvationat the same time.
66. This should therefore be repeated by persons desiring both worldly enjoyment and salvation; also by those who are in (any of) the four asramas.
67 & 68To make up for the imperfect performance of Dharma in this Kali age which is noted for the prevalenceof sin and delinquency on the part of people in doing their duty, there is no protective Mantra exceptthe repetition of this Sahasranama, The repetitionof Vishnu's names is preferable to ordinary talk.
69. To a thousand names of Vishnua single name of Siva is preferred; to a thousand names of Siva one single name of Devi is preferred.
70. There are crores of sets of thousand names to Devi, Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava. Of these, ten sets ofthousands are the best.
71. And of those ten sets of names (each of a thousand), this holy one is the best. Therefore, it shouldbe repeated daily to ward off the sins of, the Kali age.
72. The ignorant do not recognise this hymn of Devi as the best. Some devote themselves to the names of Vishnu and others to those of Siva.
73 & 74.Rarely one in this world is devoted to the names of Lalita, It is by repeating the names of other deities in crores of births that faith is generated to repeat the names of Sri Devi.
'74 & 75 Just as in is in thelast of all his births thatperson devotes to Sri Vidya, so it is that therepetition of this Sahasranama istaken up by him whose (present) birth is the last (who is to haveno more births ).
75 & 76; As there are only afew who know the method of Sri Chakra worship, even so there are only a few who chant this Sahasranama.
76 &77The practice of Sri Vidya, the worship of Sri Chakra and therepetition of this holy Sahasranama are not attainable by the poorly devoted.
77 & 78.He that wishes to please the great Ishwari without chanting this Sahasranama is like one whois confounded and. wants to see objects shutting one’s eyes.
78 & 79. He who aims at attaining Siddhis exceptby means of this Sahasranama is indeed like one who tries to satisfy hunger without taking food.
79 & 80 The devotee of Lalita should always repeat this; and in no other way can Devi be pleased, evenfor crores of years to come. Therefore, one shouldchant this secret Sahasranama of the holy Mother with devotion.
81. Thus, Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava, is this secrethymn declared to you. You should not impart this toone who is not initiated into Srividya nor to one who is not a devotee.
82. Just as Sri Vidya is to be kept secret, so also, Oh! Munj; this Sahasranama should be kept concealedfrom the eyes of the uninitiated. This holy hymn is not to be promulgated among those whose nature resembles that of beasts.
83.If a person so loses his wits as to impart this toone who is not initiated into Srividya, the Yoginis'curse him and it is a source of great loss to him.
84. Therefore, should this Sahasranama be kept concealed, even to thee, Oh! Kumbha-Sambhava, I did notdeclare it of my own accord.
85. It is by the command of Lalita that this Holy hymn is declared to thee. Oh! Kumbha-,,ISambhava, do thou chant this always with devotion.
86. Thus pleased, the great Devi will grant theeall desired objects.
86 & 87 Having thus instructed Agastya, Hayagriva meditated on Mother Lalita and got himself merged into Bliss, when his hair stood on end.
Thus ends the third Phala chapter in the uttara khanda of the Brahmanda Purana in the form of a dialogue between Hayagriva and Agastya.